Happy in both shade and full sun, coral bells are low-maintenance perennials whose colorful foliage provides a perfect playmate for other shade-lovers who look great, but could use a bit of an infusion of drama.
Now, with foliage in full view so you can easily see the color, is the ideal time to buy coral bells. Each of these is happy in zones 4 – 9.
Cultivating Coral Bells
Typically unfussy and easy to grow given afternoon shade in the hottest regions. Herbaceous perennial, in colder zones they’ll die back in the late fall and come back in spring. Evergreen in warmer zones.
- Partial to full sun.
- Provide a rich, well-drained soil and water.
- Fertilize regularly throughout the growing season.
- Provide partial shade in hottest summer regions.
- For a neat appearance, remove old flower stalks.
- Divide clumps every 2 to 3 years in early spring.
- Pruning time: early spring.