By September, before frost, it’s time to bring potted ferns indoors for the winter. Here are a few tips to keep them healthy and happy.
- Hose down each plant to clean the foliage and then inspect closely for insect that might be hiding in the foliage.
- Wipe down the pots to remove any soil that may have splashed up on them during the summer.
- Let them dry and then carry them into the house placing them on saucers to protect floors and surfaces from runoff.
- Some plants may also have put on a lot of new growth over the summer and will require a bit of pruning to shape them up before you bring them inside.
- If you find pests, treat with appropriate solutions but a good tip is to sink each pot in a bucket of water for a few hours before bringing the plant indoors. This process drowns or uncovers any slugs, snails, worms, or beetles hiding below the surface of the soil.
Here’s what you need to know about how to keep them thriving indoors.